Thursday, July 27, 2006

Days of Piracy: Free Movies & Free Music


A few years ago I was a huge Kazaa fan. I thought Kazaa was the greatest thing since video tape. I watched movies more than downloaded music. I did not think of it anymore of piracy as did recording a TV show to watch later on video tape.

I became dissatisfied with Kazaa when I learned two things: spy ware and virus potential. That is when I terminated my honeymoon with free movies.

Alas Kazaa had greater problems than loosing a client. The Entertainment industry became insensed with lost revenue for CD and DVD and Movie Ticket sales. The Entertainment industry turned loose their pit bull lawyers to track down Kazaa and their clients to bring back distribution of the flow of capital. The Entertainment industry cried PIRACY.

Today I read Kazaa was spanked to the tune of $115 million Dollars:

The company behind software called "Kazaa," which made it simple for millions of computer users to download music and movies over the Internet, has agreed to pay more than $115 million to the entertainment industry to settle global piracy lawsuits, the industry said Thursday.

Sharman Networks Ltd., which produced and distributed the popular Kazaa software, also promised to "use all reasonable means" to discourage online piracy, including building into its software "robust and secure" ways to frustrate computer users who try to find and download copyrighted music and movies, court papers said.

The Black Beard of free media has been made to walk the plank mate.



No comments: