Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Duncan Hunter – The Real Conservative


Periodically I like to post news or information about the many running for President of the United States in the 2008 election.

Of course this is a politically slanted right website so you will rarely if ever read anything in a positive light about the Democratic Party candidates. I am just being honest, not fair and balanced (as my favorite disseminator of television news claims).

Therefore I focus mostly on the Republicans and maybe a few Conservative Third Party candidates if something catches my eye.

Now I received an unsolicited email about Rep. Duncan Hunter (R CA).

The email was from a Gary C. Huggins. Mr. Huggins is apparently a passionate supporter of Duncan Hunter for President. I have not been watching the debates (just watching post coverage about them) so I never heard of Duncan Hunter.

Hunter would actually be tagged a “lower tier” candidate (thus I don’t even know if he has been in the debates). I have not heard his name.

Here is the
Wikipedia scoop on Hunter. Wikipedia seems to demonstrate some very good Conservative Christian Right credentials that would interest me; nonetheless for there two problems.

One is Hunter does not have much name recognition. In a modern age Presidential campaign you must have huge name recognition or a large money war chest. I am thinking Hunter has neither.

Two is Wikipedia mentions some controversial political ghosts that have no proven connections yet there exists an appearance of potential impropriety. Wikipedia lists three controversies but the one that stands out is a potential connection to convicted former Rep Duke Cunningham of California. If that scandal has faded from your memory, Cunningham was convicted of taking bribes from Brent Wilkes to influence legislation.

Like I said there are no smoking gun connections between Cunningham and Hunter; however the dredgers of muck are trying to find a dirty trail. The truth or falsehood of the matter is a political killer In a Presidential race of person who is starting out way behind from the beginning.

The thing that set Mr. Huggins off is an article by Jonah Goldberg in the USA Today on April fourth.

From here I will allow Gary C. Huggins
to make his pitch for Duncan Hunter for President:

(PS: I am still a Fred Thompson man; nothing has changed my mind on Thompson as yet.)

No comments: