Saturday, October 06, 2007

Oct. 10 – Atlas Shrugged Becomes 50


I might have mentioned this before but it worth saying again.

I was Slanted Left, utopian and pacifistic until my early twenties when faith in Christ found me.

Politically I did not transform quite as quickly. One just doesn’t drop a family heritage of voting the Democratic Party when your parents and grandparents ingrain in your brain that the Democratic Party and FDR saved America from the Great Depression that began in 1929 and stretched through a good part of the 1930’s.

President Carter’s (I am ashamed: my first election and I voted for the deluded psycho) Administration through a big monkey wrench in the Liberal machinery my family had programmed me with.

The Vietnam War was still fresh in mind as Carter promised all things to all people while simultaneously wavering back and forth from political policy to political policy. I was not ever going to vote Democratic Party again; however (in mind) I was not going to vote for nuke button pushing Republican Ronald Reagan either (1980).

So what was my next transition? It was Libertarianism.

My inspiration was the kind of Libertarianism espoused by Ayn Rand and Atlas Shrugged was the vehicle to Randian Objectivist Libertarianism. I mean I became a dogmatic Randian and voted for the Libertarian Party in 1980.

As my Christian faith strengthened, I became concerned of the social libertinism and anti-faith tenets of Libertarianism. My transformation had become complete into a Christian Right Conservative (often times siding with the Neocons).

I have got to tell you though the memories of self-reliance and experiencing the fruit of your own ideas and/or labor is something that still beats in my heart.

Today, even though I disagree with Randian Objectivist Libertarianism there are parts I still admire and would
highly recommend people to read Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead – Awesome reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling.I too was a
Democrat.And had a long family history of voting same.It took my
meeting Ronald Reagan.To change me.That and Rush Limbaugh.

SlantRight 2.0 said...

It is good to know there is a fellow traveler from the Left to the Right.