Thursday, February 23, 2006

Prison Sytem Out of Control

I have been have an email and blog conversation with Bill, a person quite philosophically different than myself. However Bill has insightful thoughts (many I disagree with and many to ponder) worth exploring. Below is a portion of our email:
-----------------
John,

I appreciate you civil and open minded conversation on gay marriage.

On another subject I thought you might be interested.

I came across this data that I think would be interesting to you. Did you know that we have a prison rate that is 14 times that of The Netherlands? (as a percent of the population)

Can you open the attached spread sheet?

This is out of control -

- we are creating a whole class of felons that are disenfranchised from the political process
- we are running crime colleges by incarcerating rather than rehabilitating
- the cost in dollars and human lives lost is phenomenal
- too many people and institutions have a vested interest in this system continuing (whether they are building prisons, are part of the criminal justice system, or are Republicans who know that black felons can not vote and thus can not vote Democratic)

Bill


Here is my response:

Sadly I agree that the prison system in America is the University of Perpetual Crime. I have first hand experience of helping family members who were incarcerated. When they came out I would try to help them find jobs to matriculate back into society. Their prison experience did zero to teach job skills.

When he could not find a job, he did what he further learned from past inmates to gain money. He went back to crime.

I am certain you have guessed I am a Republican. I personally believe the Democratic Party has re-enslaved black Americans to dependence through entitlements. I am certain if black Americans could break their dependence on the government for accomplishment they would vote Republican. Many black Americans actually have a stronger church attendance than white Americans. This means they espouse Christian morality. That frame of thought is more in line with the Christian Right of the Republican Party. So go figure.

As to convicted felons voting: I believe that right expired when found guilty of criminal behavior. Americans do not need felons voting, a felon is not a responsible citizen. However is the deal, a felon that has paid his debt to society and has overcome obstacles to lead a life valuable to society should be re-matriculated back to society. That includes the right to vote.

No comments: